Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2009

gobo renkon kinpira

A delightful, traditional Japanese side dish made from 3 incredible root vegetables, seasoned with a lot of garlic, ginger and chili.

1 pound burdock, scrubbed and julienned
1 pound carrots, scrubbed and julienned
1 pound lotus root, scrubbed and julienned
3 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
0-6 thai chilis, chopped, depending on how spicy you desire
1/4 cup seaweed/mushroom stock
2 tbsp sake
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

in a work frying pan, heat up oil and toss in the garlic, ginger and chili and stir fry for 15 seconds, then add the burdock and stir fry for a minute and add carrot and continue stir frying another minute. Add Lotus and continue for another minute.
Add the mirin, sake and tamari, stock lower heat, cover tightly. Cook about 10 minutes or till liquid is mostly evaporated. Add sesame seeds and serve hot over rice.


Gobo is the Japanese word for burdock root and renkon is the Japanese word for lotus root. Kinpira is the cooking technique employed to make this dish.

2 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering i love all the exotic ingredients and flavors! i'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish, the julienned gobo, carrots, and lotus root reminds me of my grandmother, my obaasan. :) When I prepared gobo myself many years later, I discovered the time it took for her to prepare the many dishes she prepared for me. She was always in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete